State House evacuated thanks to microwave mishap

Evacuated workers at the State House on Oct. 3.

A shutdown in D.C. An evacuation in Augusta.

Burned food in a microwave caused the a fire alarm and evacuation at the State House around 12:30 p.m. Thursday. Nobody was hurt, but a film crew was inconvenienced.

According to the Augusta Fire Department, who responded, the burned food  “created a bit of haze in the room,” which triggered the alarm. The haze cleared out without any ventilation and everyone is back to work.

David Boulter, executive director for the Legislative Council, which oversees the State House, said the microwave mishap took place in the Majority Office.

The evacuation triggered delays of a film shoot taking place in the Hall of Flags today. A crew is on-hand in Augusta to film shots for “Catatonk Blues,” a project by part-time Monhegan resident and former New York Congressman Robert Mrazek.

According to Assistant House Majority Leader Jeff McCabe, D-Skowhegan, the crew was about to start shooting when the fire alarm went off.

Mario Moretto

About Mario Moretto

Mario Moretto has been a Maine journalist, in print and online publications, since 2009. He joined the Bangor Daily News in 2012, first as a general assignment reporter in his native Hancock County and, now, in the State House. Mario left the BDN in 2015.